Monday, July 5, 2010

Timothy Keller

Religion vs. Gospel

I am so sinful that he had to die for me. At the same time, I'm so loved because he was willing to do it.

I'm doing a study on a book called 'Gospel in Life' by Timothy Keller. In our reading and discussion, it challenged us to evaluate how we are living out our faith. This particular chapter defines gospel vs. religion and asks us to move past simply going through the motions of the Christian religion and obedience, and really trying to live out the gospel with the right motivation and heart.

Religion says: If i obey, then God will love and accept me
If you're living out religion, most people either experience:
->Pride: I think I can save myself.
I look down on people who can't live up to the rules.
->Inadequacy/Guilt: I'm not good enough.

But the Gospel says: God loves and accepts me because of what Jesus has done; therefore I obey out of love and thankfulness.

What did Jesus do?
-> Lived a perfect life.
-> He suffered and died. Why? Someone had to pay.

If you are living out the gospel
-> This humbles me because of the high cost he paid.
-> This gives me the confidence because he was willing to do it.

Not pride... humility!
No guilt... confidence!

1 comment:

  1. Like all Replica Tag Heuer the case is traveling to be beautifully finished. It is absolutely a section of art and feels so bland in the hands. You can see all the altered forms of titanium in assorted polishes. The punch looks like it is a awning getting affected by the case. A nice "Corum" logo is engraved into arch on the movement - I like the hardly restyled logo. Looks appealing aciculate next to the key emblem.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?